Tuesday, September 21, 2010



Often the cancer experience is a whirlwind affair for a year. It leaves you breathless and probably a little scared sort of like a bad relationship... alright a super abusive relationship where your partner tries to kill you.

The week or so preceding my diagnosis was nuts. It was filled with a lot of crazies coming over to sell me alkaline water and cashew cheese, going on a raw food diet and my sister making me drink something that tasted like hippy farts. I think when a person first gets diagnosed with Maserati cancer all you can really do is hang on and react. I went to a few places that had sarcoma units. I ended up liking UCLA's approach the best. My doctor was cute and very willing to accommodate my questions and having my whole family in on my office visits. (I'm sort of the baby of the family... most of the time to my annoyance).

I was outfitted with a cyborg port and the next day I started Adriamycin (they don't mess around at UCLA. The red devil as it's called is quite the stuff. As you can see from the pictures the first day I was like "heeeey this ain't so bad" and the picture from the next day I look like I'd just been hit by a truck. I seriously thought I might die that night. I don't think I've ever been so sick. My whole body felt like it was trying to escape chemo.

I was only to have 2 rounds of Adria before getting a PET to see if there was tumor change. Turns out that 2 days after my first infusion my tumor was gonnnne. I couldn't feel or see it anymore. Then, right before it was due for my second infusion it came back. So, this told my oncologist that the cancer was being hit by the chemo and then regrouping. That couldn't be good... So, I had my second infusion and a PET to see what was happnin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment