Monday, September 14, 2009

Cancer shmancer! a 26 year olds perspective

So, I never have joined a cancer site before... mainly because I don't really have breast cancer per se. I have some other weird cancer called angiosarcoma which happens to have shown up in my left breast. So where do I fit in? No one ever gets angiosarcoma so there aren't really any support groups for such a rarity. However, the results of having angiosarcoma in the breast is similar... I've had a mastectomy, I've had radiation, I've had chemo... and I started chemo again last tuesday. So here I am, missing a boob, scared, angry, young (Im 26) and tired of having no one to talk to. There will be differences between us but I think how cancer leaves a person is universal.

So, hello everyone. I'm Tracey. I was diagnosed with a rare and nasty cancer in January. I've kept a very cool journal for most of that time. Im an artist for Disney so drawing in my book and having very colorful entries is a way to keep myself sane. I've decided to take my diatribes to the internets. Beware! I might post some images from it on here!

I think many of you (as I have discovered for myself) sometimes its hard to talk to friends and family about how you REALLY feel. My outward persona to everyone is one of sheer dogged determination to kick cancers ass. And it is... but no one besides maybe my boyfriend of 4 years sees the utter terror and uncertainty that lurks just below the surface of "you're so brave". Stupid things that make up our daily lives will never even enter the minds of people that haven't had the cancer bus barreling towards them at 90 mph. Things like EVERYTHING that feels different or funny or hurty about our body now turns into something sinister... "my ribs hurt... oh god has it metastasized? My armpit feels lumpy oh god Im going to die aren't I?!" That is normal from what I hear... isn't it? Normal or not, it sucks. Despite my Herculean efforts to calm down... its not easy to do sometimes. I think meditation helps the most and then an Ativan. Man, is it just me or do oncologists pass that stuff out like candy? I <3>lorazepam. How do you other patients cope?

I think the most indignant part of having cancer isn't losing your boobies... or hair or having menopause prematurely or barfing, no eyebrows, constipation and mouth sores... its being fat from the steroids given with chemo. I mean we look bad enough without THAT!

I end this with...

'Dear cancer, you've ruined pretty much everything ever, the least you can do is get rid of my butt flab.'

Sincerely,

-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment